I guess that photos like the one posted here today are something of a cliche these days – pictures of the fronts (and rears) of cars, especially classic cars, is something that seems to have become a widespread trend. Nevertheless, they can still be interesting pictures, I feel, so please excuse another one appearing. 🙂
This little car here is the somewhat graniosely named Vanden Plas Princess 1100. It’s a model from the BMC ADO16 range of which there were multiple variants. The Vanden Plas version was at the upmarket end though, with the model sporting leather interior furnishings and a walnut dashboard. It also had a posh-looking radiator grille by way of distinction from its lower spec stablemates.
It’s a bit of a hot day here in the UK today – with temperatures where I live nudging past 30 degrees. That’s not very high compared with other parts of the planet, but it’s high for me and the only consolation is that the humidity isn’t too bad. The forecast is for cooler weather through the rest of the working week, but then it’s predicted that it could soar to potentially record-breaking highs again next weekend.
This big barge of a car was at the Sheffield Steam Rally when I visited. I’m not sure what year this dates from – I would guess late 70s, but I could also be out by some margin thanks to my relative ignorance of such things. It looks nice in a photograph though!
I wrote a few days ago about how I’ve been having difficulties scanning a roll of Velvia 100 that I shot at the steam rally last weekend. I’ve scanned Velvia 50 before and was similarly granted with the same red-cast that I got this time, although on this occasion I’ve also had problems with the actual exposure of the scans – some images looking under-exposed in comparison with the physical transparencies. The under-exposure issue is something that I’ll have to atempt to rectify in Lightroom, but at least I seem to have found a working solution to the red-cast problem.
After carrying out all my post processing in Lightroom, I always open the final image in Photoshop to add a white border. This time, as well as adding the border, I also used the Auto-colour option in the Image menu. I don’t usually find that this does a great job – it tends to be hit and miss on the occasions I’ve used it in the past – but for these Velvia 100 scans it works a treat. Hopefully this will mean I’ll get much more satisfactory images from the roll than I’d feared.
This picture of a slightly rusted Ford Popular has come out very nicely. I used a polariser for most shots on the roll, and it’s really deepened the sky for this photo.
So, it seems I managed to mess up the exposure on this shot by some margin. Had it been B&W or C41 negative film then I might have rescued some of the highlights, but slide film takes no prisoners unfortunately, so over-exposure is what I got. While this B&W conversion is no less overexposed than the colour original, I think the monochrome hides the failings better and, despite the flaws, there’s still something about the photograph that I like. So, here it is.
UPDATE: Two days after posting this, the photo managed to get into Flickr’s Explore selection. While I like the picture, I don’t think it’s that good. But then Explore is an enigma at the best of times. The photos I make that I like best never tend to get into Explore, it’s always the ones I think are more average.
A very quick post today as I’m feeling a little under-the-weather. I’m feeling fatigued and just not myself. I’ve got it into my head that I must have had Covid at some point and am now suffering from Long Covid, but that’s probably just hyperchondrial foolishness on my part.
After yesterday’s post about how I really don’t enjoy the process of developing film, and how I’d put off developing a roll for a somewhat weak reason, today I pulled my finger out and got the job done. It wasn’t urgent, so I could have left it another week – after a period where I was running out of new photos to use in the blog, I now have three full rolls of stuff, two of which were waiting to be scanned even without developing this new roll – but if I’d left it, then the job would have been hanging over me like a cloud, and I might even have ended up with a backlog if I shoot more stuff in the interim.
Anyway, it’s done now. All developed. All cut and sleeved. All the equipment washed and tidied away for next time.
I got rid on my stop-bath and fixer today too. They’ve had 15 or 16 films through them and the stop-bath was starting to change colour slightly. I might have eked a few more rolls out of both batches but I’d rather not risk a ruined roll, so I’ll need to make some fresh solutions next time.
I also managed to drop the freshly washed roll onto the shower cubicle floor while squeegeeing the moisture off it, necessitating my re-dousing it with the remaining wetting agent. Thankfully the shower floor was pretty dry and not covered with soap bubbles or anything like that, and the negatives look ok on first glance now they’re dried. I said some profane words when it happened though. 🙂