35mm · Film photography · Photography

Big and little bandstands

Two bandstands, both in Queen’s Park, Chesterfield – the same place I photographed the cricket field. At least I think they’re both bandstands – the second one is much larger and almost looks like a carousel with nothing to ride.

Perhaps in summer
The sound of a band may sound
Tiddly om pom pom

Queen's Park bandstand
Underneath the octagon

Canon Sure Shot Supreme & Kodak Colorplus.

Taken on 25 April 2021

7 thoughts on “Big and little bandstands

    1. Thanks P. I think you’re right, gazebo definitely fits. I generally think of gazebos as much smaller (and often temporary / collapsible) structures, but I don’t think there’s any size limit to them.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. It’s truly interesting how words are used differently in various English-speaking countries, and even within the same country but in different regions. Here, gazebos are always thought of as permanent structures, not temporary or collapsible, and are almost always found in parks. Believe it or not, I’ve actually never heard anyone use the word “bandstand” in everyday conversation, at least that I can recall. My only familiarity with that word is its usage in literature and from people like yourself from other parts of the world.

        On a different note, are you still using Grain2Pixel for your negative conversions? The colors and grain structure of your scans are always top notch.

        Liked by 1 person

      2. I’d always asumed bandstand was used across the pond too, although that probably stems from my reading Stephen King’s The Dead Zone, where a bandstand is the site of something nasty occuring.

        There are permanent gazebos here too, but it’s this sort of thing that springs to mind when I hear the word generally:


        Yes, still using Grain2Pixel for my C41 scans. It works better on some emulsions than others, Colorplus being one of them. I scan using my Plustek 8100 which does a nice job of resolving detail.

        Liked by 1 person

      3. The thing you linked to would, where I live, never be referred to as a gazebo. We’d probably call it a tent — a hexagonal, pop-up tent. Haha! I’ve never actually seen such a thing in use, though. Ever. Who uses such a thing, and for what purpose?

        The Dead Zone. Yep, that’s a more modern literary source of the word “bandstand.” However, I’d argue Stephen King tends to use a lot of language and words that aren’t necessarily vernacular or typical of how people in real life talk. I think that adds to the overall strangeness and weird atmosphere he creates in his supernatural writings.

        By the way, it is entirely possible that in other parts of the USA “bandstand” is a commonly used word. It just isn’t where I’m at.

        Your Plustek and Grain2Pixel do a great job together, along with however you post-process the images. I figured this was still your routine, but out of curiosity thought I’d ask. Thanks.

        Liked by 1 person

      4. I have seen some of them referred to as an “open-sided tent”, although they’re not something that could be used for camping or suchlike.
        They’re mostly used as temporary and portable shelters for outdoor activities to either keep the sun off people or (more likely here in the UK) the rain.
        When the activity ends the structure can be collapsed down for storage in a garage / shed / wherever.
        You can often find them in use at fetes or sometimes in outdoor gardens at pubs and restaurants.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s